All India Institute of Medical Sciences AIIMS
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (A.I.I.M.S.), New Delhi - A Premier Medical Institute of India
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (A.I.I.M.S.), New Delhi, is India's premier medical institute. Established in 1956, it was the vision of the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. A.I.I.M.S. was selected to demonstrate the highest standards of medical education in India. Over the decades, it has contributed tremendously to quality medical education and healthcare in India and globally.
A.I.I.M.S. was established in New Delhi in 1956 as an autonomous institution through an Act of Parliament. The idea for A.I.I.M.S. was envisioned by the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. He aimed to set up an institution that would demonstrate the highest standards of medical education and research that would cater to the needs of independent India.
The Health Minister in Nehru's cabinet, Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, and the Bhore Committee played a vital role in establishing A.I.I.M.S. The Bhore Committee made recommendations in 1946 for creating a medical institute in India that would meet global healthcare and medical education standards. Their recommendations eventually led to laying the foundation stone of A.I.I.M.S. in 1952 by Jawaharlal Nehru.
Objectives of AIIMS
AIIMS was set with the following purposes:
- Demonstrate high standards of medical education in India by establishing undergraduate and postgraduate training programs.
- Provide excellent training facilities for students to conduct original research work and innovation in medical science and technology.
- Provide opportunities for training in paramedical and allied fields connected to medicine.
- Provide diagnostic and therapeutic facilities for patients and develop teaching patterns for postgraduate studies.
In essence, A.I.I.M.S. was created to nurture excellence in all aspects of medical education, including teaching, research, and patient care. It has fulfilled this mission tremendously over the past six decades.
Campuses and Infrastructure
The main A.I.I.M.S. campus is located in Ansari Nagar East in New Delhi. It is built over an extensive area of over 200 acres. The campus has comprehensive teaching, research, administration, recreation, and residential facilities. These include:
- Teaching blocks for undergraduate and postgraduate programs
- Extensive library with over 55,000 books and 1000+ journals
- 18 hostels capable of housing over 3000 resident doctors and students
- Auditoriums, seminar halls, demonstration rooms, etc
- Experimental animal house and research labs
- Sports and recreation facilities like tennis courts, cricket ground etc.
A.I.I.M.S. also has over 2000 faculty members and 3500 resident doctors and students. In 2014, A.I.I.M.S. started the process of redeveloping and expanding its facilities. Under this new master plan, the bed strength will be increased from around 2000 to over 3200 beds. New patient care, teaching, and research blocks will also be added along with residential facilities.
Satellite A.I.I.M.S. institutes have also been established in Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur and Rishikesh. Several more campuses are planned nationwide.
Departments and Services
A.I.I.M.S. Delhi has comprehensive departments and centers covering all medical science and technology specialties. Some of the key ones are:
- Department of Medicine: For teaching, research, and patient care in General Medicine and all medical sub-specialties.
- Department of Surgery: Covers General Surgery and super-specialties like Neurosurgery, Pediatric Surgery etc.
- Department of Pediatrics: For teaching and clinical care in all pediatric sub-specialties.
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology: For care related to pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health, etc.
- Department of Radiology: For diagnostic and interventional radiology services.
- Department of Anesthesiology: For perioperative care and pain relief.
Along with medical specialties, A.I.I.M.S. has extensive research departments and advanced diagnostic facilities. It strives to provide comprehensive patient care while advancing healthcare through research and innovation. As a tertiary care hospital, patients from all over India are referred here for expert management.
Postgraduate Teaching Program
A.I.I.M.S. offers high-quality postgraduate programs in over 60 disciplines of medicine and surgery. The teaching program for postgraduates has the following components:
- Attending grand rounds, seminars, journal clubs, and guest lectures conducted by eminent faculty and visiting professors.
- Hands-on learning through bedside case presentations and discussions across different specialties.
- Learning practical skills in the operation theater and critical care units.
- · Performing lab techniques and procedures and training in medical equipment usage.
- Maintenance of log books for attendance, academic, and clinical work.
- Writing research proposals and papers under faculty guidance.
The training program imparts comprehensive knowledge and skills to develop competent and ethical medical specialists.
Examinations and Admissions
A.I.I.M.S. holds an entrance exam annually for admission to its undergraduate M.B.B.S. program. In 2024, the entrance test is scheduled to be held on May 26 and 27. The exam has around 200 multiple-choice questions on Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and General Knowledge.
In 2024, the examination will be conducted at various centers in New Delhi, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Lucknow, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur and Rishikesh.
Candidates who qualify for the written test are interviewed to assess their overall suitability for the rigorous academic program at A.I.I.M.S. Finally, shortlisted candidates are admitted based on their merit ranks.
Admissions to postgraduate courses such as M.D., MS, DM, MCh, M.D.S., etc., involve clearing a separate entrance examination followed by an interview. Seats are allotted through strict merit-based counseling.
First Director - Dr. B.B. Dikshit
Dr. Balabhai Nanavati Dikshit had the honor of being appointed as the first Director of A.I.I.M.S. in 1956. He played an instrumental role in shaping A.I.I.M.S. into an institute of excellence as per the vision of Jawaharlal Nehru.
Under his leadership, A.I.I.M.S. laid the foundation for high-quality medical education, patient care, and research. Construction of the main hospital and college blocks was completed. Departments were set up, and talented faculty members were recruited. Dr Dikshit provided input into the curriculum design, teaching methodologies, and assessment patterns.
His tenure set the path for A.I.I.M.S. to achieve new heights in medical education and research. He led the institute until 1963 and, in 1965, was awarded one of India's highest civilian honors, the Padma Vibhushan.
Today, A.I.I.M.S. New Delhi is ranked among the top medical institutes globally. It imparts cutting-edge medical education to students from across the country. Along with the undergraduate M.B.B.S. and postgraduate MD/MS programs, A.I.I.M.S. today also offers:
- Super specialty D.M./MCh courses in Cardiology, Neurology, Nephrology etc.
- Paramedical courses for technicians, optometrists, nurses, physiotherapists etc.
- Short-term skill enhancement and training programs for doctors.
- Online and distance learning courses for national & international participants.
- Collaborative research programs with institutions like WHO, Gates Foundation, N.I.H., etc.
- Some key achievements of A.I.I.M.S. over the decades are:
- Has produced over 25,000 doctors who have served across India and abroad.
- Conducted over 6000 scientific research studies published in national and international journals.
- Run nationwide community health programs for hypertension, diabetes, cancer, etc., that have benefited millions.
- Spearheaded India's first successful organ transplants and introduced cutting-edge technologies.
- Managed outbreaks and epidemics like H1N1, Dengue, Cholera etc. through expertise.
- Remains the benchmark for standards of medical education and practice in India.
The plans are to expand A.I.I.M.S. by increasing bed strength, starting new courses, adding new research centers, and collaborating with partners worldwide.
All India Institute of Medical Sciences AIIMS FAQ
What are the upcoming developments and expansion plans for A.I.I.M.S.?
What are the admission criteria for the M.B.B.S. course?
What are the facilities available for patient care at A.I.I.M.S.?
How can I apply for postgraduate programs at A.I.I.M.S.?
Are there any international collaborations for research at A.I.I.M.S.?